Municipal Court Procedures

Municipal Court Options:

  • Defensive Driving
  • Monthly Payment Plan
  • Extension to Pay (30 days)
  • Request Court Date
  • Indigent (community service)
  • Pay in Full
  • Not Guilty

Defensive Driving:

Form needed:

  • Reply/Request form

Check the second box for Defensive Driving; fill out the blanks with all your correct information; email or mail this form; make payment of court cost by money order, cashier’s check or by going to

If you are charged with a traffic offense, you may be eligible to ask the Judge to take a driving safety course to dismiss the charge.  The request must be made on or before the appearance date on the citation.  It must be made in person; by counsel, by mail or by email. (If you are under the age 17, you must appear in open court with a parent or guardian to make the request.)  If you were operating a motorcycle, you may be required to take a motorcycle operator’s training course.  If you are charged with allowing a child to ride unsecured in a safety belt or a child passenger safety seat system, you must take a special driving safety course that has four hours training on child passenger safety seat systems. 

At the time of the request, you must do the following:     

1)   Plead guilty or nolo contendere

2)   Pay court cost

3)   Provide proof of automobile insurance

4)   Provide a valid Texas driver’s license

To be eligible for defensive driving, you:

1)   Cannot have taken a driving safety course or motorcycle operators course for a traffic offense within the last 12 months from the date of the current offense.

2)   Cannot currently be taking the course for another traffic violation.

3)   Cannot be the holder of a commercial driver’s license (CDL) or have held a CDL at the time of the offense.

4)   Have not committed one of the following offenses;

  • Failure to give information at accident scene
  • Leave scene of accident
  • Passing a school bus
  • A serious traffic violation which applies to commercial motor vehicle operators
  • An offense in a construction or maintenance work zone with workers present
  • Speeding 25 mph or more over limit        

The case will be deferred for 90 days.  During this time you must:

1)   Complete a Texas approved defensive driving and present completion certificate to the court.

2)   Present a certified 3A copy of your driving record from to show that you have not had a driving safety course within the preceding 12 months from the date of the current offense.

3)   Swear to an affidavit that you were not taking a driving safety course at the time of the request for the current offense and that you have not taken one that is not shown on your driving record.

NOTE: If you do not present the required documents in time, the court will notify you to return to court and explain why you failed.  The Judge may, but is not required to, allow you to file the proper papers for an extension at that time.  Your failure to be present at that hearing will result in a conviction, a fine being assessed, and a capias pro fine for your arrest being issued.

Monthly Payment Plan

Form needed:

  • Monthly payment plan request form

Request for a monthly payment plan must be in writing (mailed or emailed).  You must plead Guilty or Nolo Contendere.  When requesting a monthly payment plan a one-time fee of $15.00 will be added to the total due.  Payment is due the 5th of each month unless otherwise noted.  Payment can be made by mail or online at  Once you have submitted request for a monthly payment plan a form will be sent to you that must be signed and returned to the court. 

Extension of Time to Pay (30 days)

Form needed:

  • Extension request form

Request for a 30 day extension must be in writing (mailed or emailed).  You must plead Guilty or Nolo Contendere.  Once you have submitted the request for an extension a form will be sent to you that must be signed and returned to the court.  Payment must be made within 30 days or a $15.00 late fee will be added to the total due.  Payment can be made by mail or by going to

Request Court Date

Form needed:

  • Court date request

If you would like to speak to the Judge, please submit in writing request for a court date.  This request can be made by mail or email.  Once the court receives the request you will be placed on the next available court docket.

Indigent / Community Service

Form needed:

  • Indigent Form

A Municipal Court may waive payment of a fine or cost imposed on a defendant if the court determines that (1) the defendant is indigent or was at the time the offense was committed (2) imposing the fine and cost under Article 45.049 or as otherwise authorized by this chapter would impose undue hardship on the defendant.

Once the court receives a request for indigency, the Judge reviews the file and documents submitted.  If community service is granted, paper work will be sent that needs to be signed and returned to the court.  A form will be provided for logging of community service hours and contact information for person overseeing the work.  Community service must be completed through a non-profit organization, and the hours must be submitted to the court by the due date provided. 

Pay in Full

To pay in full please mail payment to:

Lexington Municipal Court
PO Box 60
Lexington, TX 78947

To pay with card, please call 888-507-3442 or go to

Not Guilty

Form needed:

  • Reply/Request form

If you are choosing to plead Not Guilty; please fill out the reply/request form by checking the 3rd box.  Select if you would like a trial by Judge or trial by Jury.  Once the court receives this request, the case will be set for a Pre-Trial where you will speak with the City Attorney.  After attending a Pre-trial, the case will be set for a Trial either by Judge or Jury depending on your selection.  The trial will consist of the defendant (you) versus the officer in open court.