Common Violations

Code Enforcement serves many purposes. What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think about Code Enforcement? A set of rules that enforces aesthetics of a neighborhood? The enforcement of set by-laws similar to an HOA? While these two thoughts may be true to some extent, Code Enforcement also serves many other purposes, some of which are perhaps not as obvious as you would think. Code Enforcement officers are the first lines of defense when it comes to detecting illegal or unsafe construction projects or unsafe buildings or structures. Code Enforcement ensures the integrity of neighborhoods by maintaining their visual appeal and thus their property values. This applies both to residential and commercial districts of cities and towns. In addition to these aspects, Code Enforcement is often the first to detect or be notified of health violations. Some of these violations can be handled at the code enforcement level or vetted out to the appropriate municipal or state agency, depending on the level of a violation.



Q. What does the code say about tall grass and weeds on my property?

A. Vegetation taller than 12 inches is considered to be a nuisance and is an offense to the code. Vegetation taller than 12 inches is considered to be a hazard to the health and safety.


Q. Who is responsible for maintaining an alley or easement behind their property?

A.  The property owner is responsible for maintaining any adjoining alleyway or utility easement (to the centerline).


Q. What is outside storage?

A. House hold furniture, appliances, trash, building materials, tools, equipment, lawn & garden accessories, parts typically associated with trucks, cars, motorcycles, boats, farm equipment and any item(s) not intended or designed for outdoor use. These items should be removed and stored in an enclosed building.


Q. If a vehicle has an expired inspection or registration sticker is it considered a junk motor vehicle ?

A. No. For a vehicle to be considered a junked motor vehicle it must first be inoperative; and does not have lawfully affixed to it either an unexpired license plate or a valid motor vehicle safety inspection certificate, that is wrecked, dismantled, partially dismantled, or discarded, or that remains inoperable for a continuous period of more than forty-five (45) days. 


Q. What happens if I ignore a letter or red door hanger notice from code enforcement?

A. The city seeks voluntary compliance with the Code and will work with residents or businesses who find it difficult to come into compliance within the required amount of time stated on a letter of violation or warning. Code enforcement has the authority to grant some extensions, with other requests for extensions having to be approved at higher levels of authority. The ultimate goal is to educate residents on the importance of rectifying code violations, however certain legal remedies are ultimately at the disposal of the City should the need arise.

To register a potential Code Violation, please contact us:

(979) 773-2221 ext 5 / (979) 716-1009 or email Lacey Hannes -

Have a question?  Give us a call.  We will be happy to assist you.