To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

City Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8am - 5pm daily.

Code Compliance

Do I have to give my name and other information to file a code compliance complaint or concern?

No. Complaints can be made anonymously, and will receive the same attention as complaints accompanied by the complainant’s name and phone number. The only difference in attention is that if we have a name and phone number we are able to contact the complainant back with updates on the status of the case as it develops. If a call is made anonymously, the complainant will have to call us back, but we can still provide an update on the case. Any information given by the complainant, with a few exceptions, is public information and must be released by the City upon request. Code compliance complaints may be made to the City by phone to (979) 773-2221 ext 5., or e-mail to lacey@cityoflexingtontx.com

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the City of Lexington, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the City of Lexington hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Development Services

How do I get a building permit?

A Building Application can be obtained at City Hall located at 604 Wheatley Street Lexington, Texas, Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 4:30.

The Building Department may be reached at (979) 773-2221.

Permit Applications must include at a minimum
• Site plan
• Building plan
• ResChek or Comchek report showing compliance
• Contractors licenses
• Subcontractor list
• Applicable fees

Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

Sanitation & Recycling

When is my trash pick-up day?

Curbside pick-up is Tuesday of each week for residential customers.

May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

The burning of household garbage such as plastic, bleached paper, styrofoam, batteries, any treated wood, construction garbage, or plastic containers that held pesticides at any time is prohibited inside the City Limits

Burning of yard waste (limbs, leaves, etc.) is allowed from sunrise to sunset.

Please check to see if the City of Lexington or Lee County is under a burn ban.

Please contact Lee County Dispatch to inform them of your control burn, (979) 542-2800.

Never leave any fire unattended.

Check to see that the wind speed is between 6 mph and 23 mph (weather radio or TV report) and watch for wind speeds throughout burn.

Be sure your fire is completely out cold one hour before sunset

Violators may be subject to citation and fine.  

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and a one-time extension will be extended to you for extenuating circumstances.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.


What is the population of Lexington?

The population of Lexington is 1,177. 

What county is Lexington in?

Lee County

What is the zip code for Lexington?


What Hours is City Hall Open

City Hall is open 8 am to 5 pm daily and closed for lunch from 12 pm  to 1 pm.

​Where are City Council Meetings held?

The Council Meetings take place at City Hall, 604 Wheatley St.

​How do I submit an Open Records request to the City?

A request can be made to the City Secretary, located at 604 Wheatley Street Lexington, Texas 78947 or you can reach her at (979) 773-2221.  

Where are lost animals taken when they are picked up?

Impounded animals are taken to the Lexington Animal Shealter which is loacated off of FM 1624. If you have have a lost or impounded pet, please call (979) 773-4844.

How many dogs and cats can I own in the City of Lexington?

Residents can have a combination of no more than four.

Why do we have Code Enforcement?

The role of Code Enforcement is the prevention, detection, investigation and enforcement of violations of statutes or ordinances regulating public health, safety, and welfare, public works, business activities and consumer protection, building standards, land-use, or municipal affairs.

I recently received a Notice of Violation for a Code violation. Is this the same thing as getting a ticket?

No, a Notice of Violation is a written warning to the owner/resident that there is a violation of one or more city ordinances.  If the violation has not been corrected, the owner/resident may then be issued a Summons and Complaint into Municipal Court.

When are City Council Meetings Held?

Effective February 2023, the Lexington City Council meets the second Monday of every month unless otherwise posted.  

Who do I contact for the Lexington City Cemetery?

For informtion about the Lexington City Cemetery, please contact Trina Edwards at (979) 542-8493.

City of Lexington Projects

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Click the Subscribe button (also located on the home page under the slideshow), then fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit.

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the City of Lexington please visit the elections page for locations and upcoming election information.

Economic Profile

How do I contact The City of Lexington's Economic Development Corp.?

PO Box 542 or 825 Terrace Drive Lexington, TX 78947.

(979) 318-2545